Wednesday, November 18, 2009

quite a weekend

As you saw on Sunday, I had my checkride on Monday. This is the big checkride they put all the pressure for success on. However, first I had to get through the 2 flights before the checkride. These are as difficult if not more because they test you to see if you really know your stuff before they clear you to check. To top it off, I flew with the IP that is generally regarded as the toughest.

For these last two flights, he definitely lived up to his billing. The weather was good enough and I had a fairly ambitious plan, which was probably my mistake as he made me pay for it. To start it off, we flew a low level route, which is flown about 500 feet above the ground. I had never flown this route before, but it was important to see as it was a possible route for my checkride. Needless to say, it was not easy to find the points on this route and I definitely heard about it. The thing is there is not much I can do to because all the programs we have don't allow you to see pictures of the route. It is not easy finding points, i.e. road intersections, off outdated maps in areas that don't have much there to guide yourself with. Anyway, I got through the low level and went to do a couple practice instrument approaches at Forbes field in Topeka, KS. After our planned full stop there, we took off and headed to Wichita to do a couple and then to Tulsa for one or two. This also where I kind of started to get in trouble. I planned to do too much and didn't complete everything I planned. Luckily he knew I was getting tired and kind of let off the tough guy persona he had all day. I was sooo thankful for that, because I have enough stress about the upcoming check that I didn't need it for the two flights prior.

Eventually we made it back to Vance. I couldn't be happier as it was Friday and all I wanted to do was go home and rest. The rest wouldn't be plentiful though, as I had a check to study and plan for. To top things off the weather forecast was rapidly depleting.

I woke the next morning and immediately began to review all that I have been learning the last few months. Luckily I didn't have much distraction as my roommate was gone for the weekend. Towards the middle of the day, I was interrupted by my friend because he wanted me to go have lunch with his wife and meet a friend of hers at work. I didn't want to go, but was forced. It ended up being a little awkward, but whatever, I was preoccupied. Anyway, I spent the rest of the day reviewing with some friend who were also going to check.

Sunday rolled around and it was also a day filled with preparation. I only broke to go to church. By the way, I love my church, our pastor, Wade Burleson is super solid. Anyway, that afternoon, I planned several options for the next day's events. The primary plan was to do a low level followed by practice approaches at Tulsa and then a full stop at Oklahoma City. The secondary plan would be to do approaches at Amarillo, TX with a VFR leg to Roswell, NM. The weather was looking extremely marginal in the local area but southwest it looked great.

To be continued. . .

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey bud. I'm dying to hear the rest of your checkride story. Sent you a text last weekend. Maybe I have an old number. I'll try and get an update from your parents at church today. Finish strong and don't get a tanker! BTW, you're missing some really good surf.