Tuesday, June 2, 2009

On to Oklahoma

Well, I realize it has been a while since my last posting. That is not to say I have been busy, rather, quite the opposite is true. I have in fact been through with my training here since March. Since then, I have been doing what any true aviator does in their spare time. . . working on my tan at the beach. Actually, I have been spending most of my time attempting to quench my thirst of surfing. I also have been working out a lot and on occasion hacking it up on the golf course. I was lucky enough to get stuck with a job, however. 

Typically when a student completes their training at Whiting, they have to work one shift of duty a week and the rest of the week is at their disposal. Due to some drama in our squadron I was given a job as a scheduler, which may sound prestigious or something, but, no. It was just bad luck on my part. So every couple of weeks I had to go work for a week to help write the schedule for my squadron. 

Way back in March, I completed Primary resulting in my selection of the T-1 Jayhawk as my follow-on trainer. The T-1 is a very capable trainer which is a slightly militarized version of a Beechjet/Hawker 400. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-1A_Jayhawk Typically, a student out of T-1's will go on to fly cargo, tanker, or recon aircraft. I think I would like to get my hands on a little known aircraft called the U-28. It is stationed out here on the gulf at a base called Hurlburt Field. The U-28 is a highly militarized version of a Pilatus PC-12.  http://www.airsceneuk.org.uk/scene/mhall/070220/u28ajf.jpg Although I can only speculate what it's mission is I know that is under the Special Operations Command and therefore cool. There are also other very cool options out of T-1's. A very popular choice is the C-17 which is the new cargo plane to the Air Force inventory. It is kind like the Porsche of cargo planes.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C-17_Globemaster_III Another very cool attribute of the C-17 are its locations. It is stationed in such horrible places like Hawaii, northern CA, Washington state, and Charleston, SC (which I have heard is a very cool town). So, currently I am considering my options while preparing to move to Oklahoma. I am going to be at Vance AFB in Enid, OK. It is about an hour and a half north of Oklahoma City, precisely in the middle of nowhere. I move to OK on June 12 and begin class on June 22 I believe. Then six months later on January 22 I will graduate from UPT and will officially become an Air Force pilot!

Also, I forgot to mention, I am saying good bye to the very user friendly style of naval aviation and moving onto more Uncle Sam friendly Air Force UPT. I will explain the difference on a following posting. Until then, Pray For SURF!

Chris

No comments: